Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s (PPFA) annual report is always depressing as one reads how gigantic the organization has become, flush with taxpayer dollars, and how its influence continues to grow. Here are some salient points from the 2008-2009 annual report.
- PPFA failed in this report to record the hundreds of thousands of abortions it performs, possibly because, as right-to-life commentators point out, this number dwarfs the paltry number of adoption referrals. The latest PPFA fact sheet reports 324,008 abortions in 2008 while the Guttmacher Institute numbers indicate that PPFA accounts for 26.8% of all abortions in the USA.
- PPFA received $363 million from the government in grants and contracts. Is their a connection between increased government funding and increased numbers of abortions performed by PPFA?
- PPFA is very active in promoting abortion internationally with the annual report singling out Kenya, Latin America and the Caribbean, and northern Nigeria as countries/areas where PPFA worked to decriminalize abortion or provide abortion referrals.
- PPFA proudly cites the work of the Obama administration to overturn the Mexico City policy which prohibited the use of tax dollars to promote or perform abortions overseas; and restore funding to the United Nations Population Fund which assists China’s coerced abortion policy.
- PPFA has conducted a series of mergers as the larger, more profitable affiliates have taken over the smaller ones.
All in all, PPFA continues to be the most dominant pro-abortion force in the country and around the world.
Read the full Planned Parenthood annual report here.